Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Thoughts

I should be doing homework, or memorizing lyrics to our insane number of songs in a ridiculous number of languages, or SLEEPING, but nope! I decided to blog! Go figure.

It's pretty darn impossible to sum up all the emotions that go into Up With People...and we're only in staging! Goodness gracious. It's hard to believe I've been here a month already. Time has flown by, but it's been an amazing, EXHAUSTING experience full of many new challenges and opportunities. No doubt I've already changed and grown quite a bit, but in other ways, old habits are hard to break, especially when you come from a performing arts background and are used to things going a certain way. This whole staging process has definitely tested my patience in more ways than one, but I have no other choice than to learn, adapt, and go with the flow. It's a do or die kind of situation!

We're now 4 days away from our very first show, and BOY am I a nervous wreck! haha. I've had some nerve-wracking pre-show experiences before, but none that quite compare to this. We've essentially jam-packed learning an entire 2 hour professional production into 4 weeks, and it's the most exhausting, trying thing ever! To try and summarize all my emotions at this point would be impossible, so I'll just leave a few thoughts. I really wanted to record my state of mind before our first show to one day look back and realize it was all worry for nothing! (at least we can hope, right?)

- I'm most nervous about dance lines. We just don't have the time we need to practice them and perfect everything, and so what happens, happens! I've been working individually on things, but still feel foolish when I can't get a certain move or remember the specific sequence, so here's to praying it all comes together!

- Nothing is set in stone in our production. Things change from minute to minute, especially concerning soloists and performers. One day you could have a solo, the next day, another cast member could be singing it. I appreciate this because it takes away any kind of territorial ownership to songs, but at the same time, it leads to false hope and frustration because you never know what the staff is going to do. Yikes!

- Catching up on all the little details is what's getting to me right now! For all those moments I was out of cast vocals or movement, we're now on stage and I'm realizing I really don't know what's going on! I'm having to learn on the spot and have a severe fear or being the one who screws it up!

- Sometimes the monitor feedback is really hard to hear, so I feel like our cast gets way off rhythm or pitch. Hopefully all the sound goofs will be fixed so we can hear!

Ok! Phew. Enough negativity. Ultimately, we'll be able to do this. There's just a lot of anxiety about not feeling prepared for a show. But! With a lot of hardwork these next few days...and a *little* bit of magic, we can do it. Just send really happy, awesome vibes our way! =)

Even during the chaos of "Hell Week," the ten of us FSC students still have class! We decided to make Monday a pigtail themed day...so here we are with our piggy-tails, Frank, too! haha

1 comment:

Joan P said...

This show will be so fabulous. . I can just feel it! Sending prayers, good vibes, and happy thoughts your way. Sure with that we could be there with you for his opening show . . . but will see you soon. Best of luck . can't wait to hear how it goes!